Tuesday 11 March 2008

Going home

Caught an Air Asia flight to Bangkok and have had brunch with a friend based here and a fantastic dinner with someone I know through Rexam. Had lobster, crab and grilled fish, definately a notch above my usual fare. I was thinking I have probably eaten 90% of my meals out of doors but don't expect that to continue once I get home.

I will try and sum up my experience tomorrow while I am waiting for my flight. One thing that strikes me though, is how advanced Bangkok seems after some of the places I have been. It is like the story about the Frenchman who sets off on a train to Moscow and a Russian on another train to Paris, they get to Warsaw and both think they have arrived.

Saigon was only a generation ago a city that went by bicycle. Now, it is reputed to have 6 million motorbikes (that's right, 6 million). On the 1/2 hour taxi ride into town from the airport here in Bangkok I saw 3! That is progress, Thailand is so much more advanced, the car rules, the streets are all but impassable and the rest of SE Asia will no doubt follow suit.

Could not get my camera fixed here where I bought it so, without a viewfinder it is a bit point and hope but thought these images would be of interest.

This is how you move building materials in Phnom Penh. (On one small motorbike a saw the rider with a full size double bed, mattress, divan, headboard, the lot).



This was the free dessert offered after my last meal in Cambodia...diet has definitely improved while I have been away. Those small brown fruits are delicious, I have no idea what they are called.



And this is a road junction in Bangkok with the sky train flying overhead, could be
any major city anywhere in the world, apart from the Buddah and elephants I suppose.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You ate pineapple?

Have a safe journey home

Kath x

Unknown said...

Just so as not to disapoint you, I left the pineapple but ate the rest