Wednesday 5 March 2008

Serious bit

Spent the morning at the War Remnants Museum, or, as it is known locally, the American war crimes museum. This is a must on most peoples itinery here and I can understand why. The sanitised version of events we got at the time did not reveal the true horror of what took place. I did not realise that 3 million Vietnamese died in the war, 2 million injured and the effects of the chemical spraying will affect generations to come. Nor did I realise that America never declared war on North Vietnam but unleashed all the technology at their disposal, largely from aerial bombing, including dropping 40 million litres of agent orange. The photographs were completely "no holds barred" and the collection of war planes other armements and methods of torture chilling.

I dropped my new camera on the way in (had the case on upside down on my belt, doh), amazingly the first cyclo driver on exit took me to a shop who are repairing it by tomorrow for a cool million: 35 quid. This minor tragedy though was put in perspective by the museum.

I promise to cheer up next time. Just had a delicious strawberry shake...strawberrys grow all year round here! Off now to find some aircon...it is hot!

No comments: