Wednesday 12 March 2008

Last Day

Well, trains and boats and planes again. Sky train to the end of the line, then spent some time on the tourist boats going up and down the Chao Phrya river. Another train back to the air conditioned spleandour of Siam Paragon shopping centre. Now about to catch another train to the airport and a plane home.

This was the river first thing this morning.




I have had a wonderful time, I have visited some of the region's natural and man made wonders, I could have traveled by the UNESCO world heritage list (and felt I was at times). There are of course many problems here too but I don't want to dwell on those. We can all do something to help by supporting these countries as they emerge from difficult times, but I want to remember the natural beauty, the smell of incense, the street food, even the Honda and Yamaha motorbike! Fresh fruit, rice, Vietnamese Pho (beef soup with noodles), fish sauce, chilli in Thailand, beer Lao, Tiger beer and Singha beer. The beautiful, graceful women, the resourcefulness of people who make things with their own hands, the happiness of the children, particularly the Vietnamese who all say "hello" in my language, and the warmth of their welcome.

And at the heart of it all the Mekong River. This majestic river sustains life throughout it's journey from Tibet to the South China sea. I will never forget my time here.

Thank you to everyone who has followed my journey, I hope to see you all soon.

1 comment:

ann said...

Well I'm sorry Dave but I for one am a little disappointed you're on your way home because I'm going to miss your daily blog! I've enjoyed reading it each morning with a cup of tea before I get the kids up for school! Could you arrange another trip and give me another wonderful tour from the comfort of my armchair. Safe flight and hope to see you soon.
Love from Ann